Sunday 24 May 2009

The beat goes round and round...

I'm writing this in bed today. Sums it all up, really!

On Thursday I had a maths exam and then Carlops Jazz Band rehearsal in the evening, followed by a visit to the pub in honour of our singer's return from Arran. On Friday I was back to school, finishing some Music Technology coursework and being treated to Frank Zappa live in Barcelona. I was skeptical, but actually really enjoyed it- his band are uber-tight, phenomenally musical and supremely well-trained. Plus, Zappa's compositions and lyrics are like no other- hilarious, worrying and thought-provoking all in one. [So thanks, James!]


Then last night I went to see the Alyn Cosker Trio plus special guest Tommy Smith at The Lot in Edinburgh. Incidentally, this is the same venue where I saw the awesome calamateur only a few weeks ago. It's rapidly turning in to a favourite, actually- it's very intimate yet somehow still manages not to feel claustrophobic. But more importantly, the performance by the band was incredible... The energy was unbelievable, and watching Alyn Cosker behind the kit is something else- he plays his particular brand of raucous, guitar-based jazz-rock fusion with a raw energy and determination that just isn't often found in the jazz scene. If you ever get the chance, I would highly recommend this band.

This morning it was almost business as usual, forcing my wild music taste and shabby technique upon poor, innocent children. That is, teaching drums at home. Though in actual fact, only three of the usual eight turned up, but considering how mad the rest of the day was going to be, this was probably no bad thing.

Hasty lunch and off to rehearsal number one- Carlops Jazz Band. A miscommunication and general bad luck meant that I had no piano- just the Yamaha DX7. I feel very privileged to be a
ble to play one of these awesome instruments, but it definitely works better on top of a standard elect
ric piano as opposed to being the only comping
instrument. This, coupled with the unfamiliar venue, extra backing singers, hastily organised sound system (read: couldn't hear myself...) and general weekend madness meant that I definitely wasn't up to scratch. However, the set list for tomorrow's gig is pretty well known anyway, so it should be alright...

Anyway, 2 chaotic hours later me and Colin made a dash back to my house to pick up the drums before heading over to Broughton for a Biggar Big Band rehearsal. Being about three times the size of the Carlops band, the arrangements are more complex, but lack improvisation. About 30 seconds into the first number (Glenn Miller's Little Brown Jug), I realised how out of practise I was. Though I recovered, and seemed to get back into the swing of things (no pun intended), only to be caught off guard by the crazy Latin number Donut King [sweet, SWEET communal percussion solo in this one].

Then back home for an equally hasty dinner, teaching one more lesson, then settling down for an hour or so to practise all that BBB stuff I had forgotten how to play...

I also got a chance to play with some new live looping software today - AmbiLoop. Hopefully I will eventually post about this in more detail, and I'm hoping to use it in some solo gigs soon as well. So, all you techy types, keep 'em peeled!

Anyway, all in all, a good, music-filled day. It was great to play with the Biggar guys again, and I had forgotten how fun some of the rep was (Nou's Blue, Just A Gigolo, Donut King are my personal favourites). I would love to post links to videos and recordings of both CJB and BBB, but the sad fact of the matter is that there aren't any!! Maybe this needs sorting out.

But on the plus side, it gives me a good opportunity to plug some gigs:

May 24th (TOMORROW!) - Biggar Little Festival, Persilands
Carlops Jazz Band opening at 2.00pm, Biggar Big Band on later, Kings of Cheeze, Floozie Soo also playing.
Outdoor, barbecue, bar etc. Tickets £10 for the whole afternoon, kids free. Weather should be good!
Persilands farm outside Biggar. Map here.

May 30th, 7.30pm - 'The Amazing Carlops Jazz Band'
Our one and only 'residency,' this is usually the one gig where we sound good...
Tickets £5, kids free, from Rumbling Tams in West Linton.
Carlops Village Hall.

June 20th - 'Carlops Big Party'
Carlops Jazz Band, Dan Glover Band, Kings of Cheeze, Murray Campbell Xplosion, many, many more...
Free entry
Starting at 12.00pm in the Village Hall, then later moving down the road to the pub, for DGB, Bill Lumsden and others, then possibly back up to the hall for a Ceilidh. Should be a day of generally mad, musical, Carlops-style fun, possibly ending up with a bit of a jam session at the end. I know I can't wait! Also the first "official" performance by the Dan Glover Band. Like I haven't already told you this...

Anyway, sorry for the large amounts of "me" in this post, but hey, maybe someone will find it interesting. And what can I say - it makes me happy!

Farewell...


No comments:

Post a Comment