Saturday 9 May 2009

Update

Ok, ok, I haven't exactly been reliably blogging, but I do have a life to run. So today will just be one of the usual listening logs/recommendations, but I fully intend to bring you something new soon.

So, with that disclaimer completed, what have I been listening to recently? Oh the beauty of dysfunctional rhetoric. (WARNING: I am attempting to put pictures in today. May fail.)

Hejira by Joni Mitchell is my latest blast from the past, and I'm strangely enjoying it. Probably of more interest if you are a) a Joni fan already, or b) a poet/songwriter, because a lot of emphasis is placed on the lyrics. Nevertheless, this is still worth a listen, the musical interplay between Jaco Pastorius' sublime fretless bass playing and Joni's expressive, almost intellectual vocal delivery giving it a strange sense of lonely wanderlust, a timeless appeal. Though for first time Joni fans, I would recommend Blue or Ladies of the Canyon.
  • Key tracks: Coyote, Amelia, Furry Sings The Blues, Hejira.
  • Best moment: "Furry Sings The Blues" - the line "He points a bony finger at you, says 'I don't like you'," vocal impersonation included.

My personal "find" (possibly) is the debut album from Damien Rice's ex-backing singer,
Lisa Hannigan. Called Sea Sew, it's possibly the most un-Damien Rice-ish record you could imagine. Think Ireland, sea, pubs, knitting (in a cool way), cosiness. All topped off with a genuinely creative band, and that voice. Sublime.
  • Key tracks: I Don't Know (awesome live version through the link), Ocean and a Rock, Sea Song, Pistachio (ditto)
  • Best moment: there really are many. The cheeky, lilting groove of "I Don't Know," the quirky drum machine backing on "Keep It All," but top of the list is "Pistachio," with some of the most weird yet heartfelt and inventive lyric-writing I have heard for while - "Sit down and fire away, I know it's tricky when you're feeling low, when you feel like your feelings have gone the way of a pre-shelled pistachio." Need I say more?

Unfortunately, I think I have been too kind recently, so it's time to stop gushing. I was also listening to the new Kings Of Leon album, Only By The Night, and I was genuinely disappointed. There is none of the attitude and musical power of the older albums, just a sense of never quite making the grade, aiming too high and missing. That said, the single cuts are still good- "Use Somebody" is the definitive rock anthem, and "Closer" is inventive, despite being little more than a nice effected bass riff. But the rest of the album is just a mess. Prime examples (IMO) are "Manhattan" and "17," both of which are seemingly formless attempts at accessible grandeur, but really just come off as amateur.

Don't get me wrong, they are a great band, capable of great songwriting (see "Fans," "Red Morning Light" and "Milk") but I'm afraid that this time, in my books at least, they haven't made the grade. Look- they didn't even get a picture... Neh neeh neh neeh neeh.

Soo... There are some music recommendations, perhaps it's time for a real blog some time soon? Though I could do with some ideas for what to blog about... Drop me a comment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment