Friday 29 May 2009

Persilands '09

Well, as promised, here is my version of Persilands '09. Do enjoy...

This year, I was lucky enough to play the gig with two fantastic amateur bands- the Carlops Jazz Band (playing keys) and the Biggar Big Band (drums). Logistically, this was all a bit of a challenge for the Carlops band, considering how much gear we actually own, plus the fact that EUan had been nominated as "drumkit bitch" for the gig. (Apologies, couldn't think of a better term. Any ideas, please let me know...) This meant that his whole kit had to be brought along. Plus my snare and cymbals (obeying drummer etiquette). Plus lots of other things. Have a look...

Yep, that's the back seat. Anyway, so that happened, we were running late of course, but eventually we got there.

After a huge and unhelpful amount of faffing around (not that it was entirely unexpected...) and a late tenor player, we did manage to get a soundcheck. But then, the foldback didn't work, we started late, and ended up having to cut some numbers with the Carlopettes (our esteemed backing singers). No-one was really happy with this, which was unfortunate because it really somewhat spoilt what was actually a very good set. Nevermind, though... I think general consensus (read: my opinion) was that there was nothing we could've really done to avoid it.

So, that was that. Next up, Kings Of Cheeze. I know I've mentioned them many times before, but these guys really are something to watch. Absolutely off-the-wall, incredibly engaging and probably slightly demented. What more could you want? (By the way, apologies for the poor picture quality. T-Mobile G1 camera really not very good.)

I don't really have the space to talk about all the acts here, plus I didn't take that many photos, but it was great to have a bit of a mix. Floozie Soo played a great set, special kudos to the multi-talented Dave Ford on saxes, trumpet, bass and bassax (that's sax and bass at the same time. That means simultaneously. No joke.) Singer/songwriter Adam Holmes also played a more chilled-out, folksy set, which was a great contrast to the Biggar Big Band who followed him.

"Oh wait, that means me on the drums. Man, should probably set up the kit. Aah, where is my music? Aah, where is my stool? Seriously, guys, I need a drum stool!! Crap, that tom won't fit there. Better move it. Dammit, dropped the music again." Etc...

Anyway, so that was how it went. Eventually I did set up the kit, and we played the set. Nothing too remarkable, seemed to go really well. Couple of dodgy endings- it's actually very difficult to tackle pauses, rubato and slow-downs without an official "conductor." But all in all, very very good fun. Personal favourite is an arrangement of "Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody" which has the most awesome drum set-ups ever. Completely predictable to anyone familiar with the genre, but still extremely effective. And fun to play.

So Persilands '09 was indeed a success. Musically, fantastic, but the best thing for me was being able to leave with a renewed passion for local music. There is so much going on. But possibly even better than that was the sense of community that gets built up around local musicians. There is something special about music- it really does bring people together. So many times on Sunday, I was struck by the sheer randomness of some of the people I was talking to. What I mean is that, if it weren't for the local music scene, there would be absolutely no way of me being able to get to know these awesome people- people from incredibly different walks of life, all interacting to put on a great gig.

The day finished with lots of driving to and from the venue, and meeting up (and not managing to meet up...) with musicians in pubs. I got home, brain mushed up through a combination of beer and tiredness, at about 11.30- exactly 12 hours after getting there. There's nothing like the feeling when you get into bed after a day like that- a mixture of satisfaction, excitement over future plans, exhiliration, sadness that it's over, and extreme, all-consuming tired-out-ness.

Awesome.

Anyway, I do realise that I write far too much, so I was extra-careful to take a few more photos this time. Enjoy...

Our lovely venue, before the horde.














John embracing his young, feminine and very slightly drunken sides simultaneously.














Euan embracing a plastic cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment