Friday 30 January 2009

HOLIDAY!!!

Well, I do have some exciting news today. Tomorrow, I am getting on a plane with my family and we are going to Orlando for two weeks!! Or maybe it's only exciting if you are me... But nevertheless, I will be taking my trusty friend laptop with me, and may even get some blogging done! There must be some kind of music scene in Orlando... So I will keep you posted!

Meanwhile, this week's choice albums:

Day & Age by The Killers is on frequent rotation at the minute, and I'm loving every minute of it! They seem to have perfected the formula - there's a nice mix of the synthy glam-rock leanings of Hot Fuss and the abstract American rock of Sam's Town, but for me it's the new and inventive instrumentation that does it - harpsichord, anyone?
  • Key tracks: Losing Touch, This Is Your Life, The World We Live In
  • Best moment: Hmm, there are many, but I think it may have to be the brass opening figures on "Losing Touch."

I also backtracked slightly, and had a listen to Because Of The Times, the 2007 album from Kings Of Leon. I have read one review that slated it, basically suggesting that they were trying (and failing) to be the U2 of American rock. And while this is possibly true, the results of the experiment are nothing to be ashamed of - this album oozes attitude and musicality. In my opinion, Because Of The Times is seriously underrated.
  • Key Tracks: Knocked Up, McFearless, Fans
  • Best moment: The complex yet solid drum groove in "McFearless" (see also: bridge to "My Party.")

No comments:

Post a Comment