Sunday 25 January 2009

What I listened to today...

So here is the place where I get to tell you all what I was listening to today, and why you should (or shouldn't...) all listen to it as well. As always, I would just love it if anyone wanted to comment and start a discussion.

So, let's crack on... Not that there was much to crack on with...

This morning, as a lazy Sunday wakeup ditty, I stuck on a bit of the Scott Matthews album "Passing Stranger." For those who haven't heard of him, he is an English singer-songwriter, but what makes him different from the rest of the players in that particular market is the fact that he has genuine skill as a guitarist. Although there is certainly space for the sensitive, acoustic, string ballads, most of his music is perhaps best likened to some sort of strange cross between Jeff Buckley, a bluesy, old-school, rootsy Led Zep and a sitar. Gotta love it.
  • Key tracks: Dream Song, The Fool's Fooling Himself, Elusive
  • Best moment: "The Fool's Fooling Himself," when the drums stop then re-enter after the eery instrumental section after the first chorus. If you have never before felt the urge to do a bit of air drumming, now's the time.

Then, in the car on the way to church, I plumped for what has pretty much become my favourite record of all time: the album "For Emma, Forever Ago" by Bon Iver. You've heard the hype, now buy the record. Really, just buy it.
  • Key tracks: Erm... All of them.
  • Best moment: The absolutely sublime bridge of "The Wolves (Acts I & II)," where raucous, clattering percussion serves as the backdrop to an epic musical conversation between two groups of Justin Vernon's layered vocals. In short- genius.

In the future, I will endeavour to list more than two albums per day... but that's all for now!!!

3 comments:

  1. Eyy mate I do like the Bon Iver album. Wish I was as haggardly heartbroken as he allegedly was so I could write such songs. I have never heard of Scott Matthews I shall investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same!!! By the way, I'm wanting to hear some of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.myspace.com/ollyfarrell

    only one finished thing there and even then it sounds shitty through myspazz compression

    xx

    ReplyDelete